Summer Course on Cross-Border Debt Recovery in the EU
Academy of European Law
Trier, 2 July 2018 – 6 July 2018
Objective: This summer course will introduce legal practitioners to the law and practice of cross-border debt recovery within the EU and beyond.
- Which court has jurisdiction?
- Service of documents and taking of evidence
- Cross-border enforcement of judgments
- Specific procedures that help to obtain a judgment abroad faster and more easily
- Freezing monies in bank accounts abroad
- International contracts and torts
- Alternative and Online Dispute Resolution
Participants will be able to deepen their knowledge through exercises and daily workshops in which active participation is encouraged.
Visit of the European Court of Justice: Participants will also have the opportunity to attend a hearing at the Court of Justice of the European Union in Luxembourg.
Who should attend? The course is aimed at legal practitioners seeking a thorough introduction to the various methods of cross-border debt recovery within the EU and beyond.
- Angelika Fuchs, Head of Section ‘European Private Law’, Academy of European Law (ERA), Trier.
- Sarah Garvey, Counsel, Allen & Overy, London.
- Brian Hutchinson, Arbitrator, Mediator, Barrister, GBH Dispute Resolution Consultancy; Associate Professor, Sutherland School of Law, University College Dublin.
- Jens Kleinschmidt, Professor of Private Law, Private International Law and Comparative Law, University of Trier.
- Xandra Kramer, Professor of Private Law at the Erasmus University Rotterdam; Professor of Private International Law at Utrecht University; Deputy Judge at the District Court of Rotterdam.
- Guillermo Palao Moreno, Professor of Private International Law, University of Valencia.
- Stefanie Spancken, Associate, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, Düsseldorf.
- Maarja Torga, Consultant, Supreme Court of Estonia, Tartu.
Monday, 2 July 2018
08:45 Arrival and registration of participants
09:15 Welcome and introduction: Angelika Fuchs
I. CROSS-BORDER LITIGATION: BRUSSELS Ia AND BEYOND
Speaker: Angelika Fuchs
09:30 Jurisdiction in civil and commercial matters
10:30 Coffee break
Speaker: Maarja Torga
11:00 Prorogation and lis pendens
11:45 How to enforce a judgment abroad. Brussels Ia and the European Enforcement Order
14:00 WORKSHOP (with coffee & tea). Cross-border civil litigation in judicial practice
15:45 Results of the workshop and discussion
17:00 End of the first day
19:30 Course dinner
Tuesday, 3 July 2018
II. HOW TO OBTAIN A JUDGMENT ABROAD FASTER AND MORE EASILY
Speaker: Xandra Kramer
09:15 European Payment Order & Small Claims Procedure
10:45 Coffee break
11:00 WORKSHOP. Cross-border debt recovery: which path to take?
12:15 Results of the workshop and discussion
14:00 How to apply those instruments in practice?
15:00 Coffee break
III. SERVICE OF DOCUMENTS & TAKING OF EVIDENCE
Speaker: Stefanie Spancken
15:30 Cross-border service of documents & taking of evidence
17:00 End of the second day
17:30 Guided city tour of Trier
Wednesday, 4 July 2018
IV. VISIT TO THE COURT OF JUSTICE OF THE EU
07:00 Departure from ERA for the hearing at the CJEU
08:20 Arrival and registration at the CJEU
08:45 Briefing on a pending case
09:30 Hearing of a pending case
11:30 Presentation of the CJEU
13:00 Free afternoon in Luxembourg or Trier
Thursday, 5 July 2018
V. FREEZING BANK ACCOUNTS ACROSS EUROPE
Speaker: Sarah Garvey
09:15 The European Account Preservation Order (EAPO): scope, procedure and enforcement
10:00 Case study: Freezing monies in bank accounts across Europe
11:00 Coffee break
VI. INTERNATIONAL CONTRACTS AND TORTS
Speaker: Guillermo Palao Moreno
11:30 International contract law
Speaker: Jens Kleinschmidt
14:00 Cross-border tort litigation
14:45 WORKSHOP (with coffee & tea). Which law applies to international contracts and torts?
16:00 Results of the workshop and discussion
17:30 End of the fourth day
18:00 Tour of the vineyards, wine-tasting and dinner
Friday, 6 July 2018
VII. MEDIATION, ADR & ODR
Speaker: Brian Hutchinson
09:30 The mediation landscape in the EU: legal framework, concepts and practice of mediation, ADR & ODR
10:30 Case study: Solving consumer disputes on the Internet
11:00 Coffee break
11:15 Mediation in transnational business disputes: experiences
13:00 Lunch and end of course
More information [here]